These are all important questions for any homeowner to be asking. We’ve compiled some key Flood-related resources together in one spot for you to consider. Take a moment to look over the information to better prepare yourself against a flooding scenario.
1) Determine Your Flood Risk. Many homeowners don’t even know the likelihood of a flooding scenario in their area. Most probably take the “it could never happen to me” approach. Yet 90% of all presidentially-declared natural disasters are for floods.
2) Understand and Purchase Flood Insurance. Although 90% of “disaster-related property damage” in the US is caused by flooding, most homeowner insurance policies don’t cover flooding. Find out how you might qualify for a national flood insurance policy plan.
3) Protect Your Property From Flood Damage. If you know your home is at risk for flooding, there are a few important steps you can take to minimize damage in the event of a flood. Here’s a helpful checklist you can use to make sure you are taking all the possible flood-protection steps.
4) Purchase and Install a Sump Pump. A properly-sized sump pump will go a long way towards keeping your basement dry in the event of heavy rains and flooding. Although it is essentially a last line of defense, it’s still an important piece of the puzzle.
5) Know How to Clean Up After a Flood. If the worst-case scenario occurs, there’s a good chance that some serious clean-up will need to be undertaken. Here’s another resource on Flood Cleanup and your home’s Indoor Air Quality that you should take a moment to read.
We hope all those homeowners facing flooding situations this spring come out dry and undamaged.